When I think of an educational hero I don't think of someone in history or someone that has done something good for the education world. I think of someone who has made somewhat of an impact in my life. My educational hero is my Mom. She received her Associates Degree in Nursing from UVCC (Now UVU!) when I was about 6 years old and my sister was 4 1/2. I remember her getting us up early to do our hair before she went to work early in the morning. My dad was not about to attempt to do his two daughters' hair. She has worked as a nurse at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center since she graduated so many years ago. Back then you didn't need a Bachelor's Degree to become a nurse. About 4 years ago, the hospital made it a requirement for all the RN's to receive their Bachelor's Degree in Nursing. While she was going back to school, she had a daughter in junior high and two other daughters also in college. She was the Young Women's leader in her ward and still worked her three, twelve hour shifts a week. She never once complained. She did it with a smile on her face and she is so proud of herself, as are we. I am now going to school with a 19 month old daughter and it is hard. I am trying to do it with a smile on my face and for my family, just like she did.
The reason I want to teach is because when I was in 5th grade, my teacher made me feel like I want to make kids feel when I am their teacher. She always cared and I felt like she was truly one of my best friends. I didn't have a lot of friends and i was extremely shy. She just always made me feel like I did my best and that she was proud of me.
I would like to teach 3rd grade when I am done with school. I work at and elementary school right now and I help in a 3rd grade class everyday. I just love those kids and they are so funny at that age. I also like the curriculum that we get to teach as 3rd grade teachers.
This is a great story and thank you for sharing it with me. I am excited that you have decided to go into the world of teaching and that you are going to make a difference in students lives...positive differences. I look forward to help you on the road to becoming a great teacher!
ReplyDelete